Learn programming concepts with our unique “Music+Code” curriculum!
No computer required.
Devin Ulibarri and/or Walter Bender, Instructor(s)
Learn the basics of programming in a musical and fun way with our unique Music+Code approach. Students learn basic mathematical/geometric concepts by creating programs that create shapes; they learn how to read a graph by creating melodies; they learn to create and analyze structure that is important to both music and computer programming; and much, much more!
- Grouping code into chunks (aka. “functions” in programming terminology, which is important in music to create large-scale structure)
- Order and form (“order of operations”, which is important to music as well)
- Debugging (i.e. how to track the source of unexpected problems)
- Mathematical concepts such as variables, randomness, and mathematical computation
- Graph reading (music reading is, after all, reading a pitch-over-time on a graph)
- …and more! (See our lesson plans for full details. These lesson plans were created by MAP instructors.)